• Breaking News

    Thursday, February 6, 2020

    Dishonored "My! You must be Corvo."

    Dishonored "My! You must be Corvo."


    "My! You must be Corvo."

    Posted: 06 Feb 2020 06:40 AM PST

    "We Belong to the Void" By ViaEstelar

    Posted: 06 Feb 2020 06:06 AM PST

    Gotta keep the tradition going

    Posted: 05 Feb 2020 11:56 PM PST

    As close as I could get to having Corvo in Mortal Kombat 11

    Posted: 06 Feb 2020 03:10 PM PST

    I call this, “One night out with the boys” Sokolov eat your heart out

    Posted: 06 Feb 2020 11:13 AM PST

    Took me a while but I finally did it....200 kills on Back Alley Brawl on Expert Mode!

    Posted: 06 Feb 2020 02:53 AM PST

    Dishonored wallpaper I made using Wallpaper Engine. Enjoy!

    Posted: 06 Feb 2020 08:07 AM PST

    Corvo Attano and Jonathan Reid - my favorite protagonists in gaming and why

    Posted: 06 Feb 2020 02:10 PM PST

    So very often in games that allow for choice-based story progression, you see a very clear-cut "good" and "bad" choice, and perhaps one choice that can't really be interpreted one way or another. The "whatever" choice.

    This often leads to a very one-dimensional player character. I was playing KotOR 1 the other day, and I was loving it, but the longer I played the more disillusioned I became with my character. I wanted him to be dark side but not because he's an evil asshole, he just doesn't agree with the Jedi way of thinking, he's edgy and against the idea of suppressing your emotions and desires. But you cannot highlight this type of character in any way. It's either "honorable Jedi" or "puppy kicker" and it's so droll and lame.

    Which brings us to Corvo Attano of Dishonored and Jonathan Reid of Vampyr. Playing in "high chaos" in these games reflects tactfully on the main character. Corvo is an aristocrat, a nobleman and he is respected by everyone around him, but he doesn't let any of it go to his head. His only interests are in his family and the people he loves and wants to keep safe. So when you play Corvo as a killer, the underlying theme becomes about this romantic and despondent depressing story of vengeance. At one point in Dishonored 2, the spirit of Corvo's wife will express disappointment in him if you played the game up to this point in high chaos. His response isn't something tactless and lame that you'd see in KotOR like "whatever, killing is fun and I don't care what you say." Corvo's response is "I did what had to be done." Those seven words are what encapsulate a high chaos Corvo and Jonathan Reid to me.

    It's not about killing "for teh lulz" or "because the dark side is cooler lol" the characters retain their sophistication when they are played darkly. At the end of Vampyr when Jonathan's love interest expresses disappointment in him for feeding on people and is about to end her own life, Jonathan says the same thing Corvo did in Dishonored 2: "I did what had to be done." And in the ending sequence, Jonathan talks about how yes indeed he has become some kind of monster, he has turned to this dark path, but his heart remains - he is still who he is - regardless of the shadows that follow him. He, like Corvo, harbors no cognitive dissonance or uncertainty - they are killers, this is the path they have taken and this is their protest against the world and what has happened to them. This is their desire for vengeance.

    It makes me sad because in all my years of gaming, Dishonored and Vampyr are the only games where I have found such interesting characters. They are both handsome, sophisticated guys who are broken inside and are on a path of vengeance. They are relatable and understandable.

    The most similar character I can think of off the top of my head is Adam Jensen, I guess he fits the bill to some degree but Corvo and Jonathan have a much more depressive atmosphere and playing them is a much more intensely emotional experience than with Adam (not that Adam doesn't have an emotional story, it just doesn't quite match up to Corvo and Jonathan.)

    Alex Mercer is another similar character although he's much less emotional and more rampant. (Of course we're ignoring how they "progressed" his character in the sequel. I hate how they wrote him in Prototype 2.)

    This post is partially a blog of my own thoughts and feelings, and partially a request to game developers everywhere; please write more characters like Jonathan Reid and Corvo Attano who, when played in a dark path, don't just become "lulz evil" characters like the dark side protagonist from KotOR 1. Sophistication, maturity, romance (not just "love" but I mean romance in the sense of being emotional, having deep feelings, etc.), depressive atmosphere, these are all core aspects to Corvo and Jonathan and are what make playing them so interesting and fun for me.

    I haven't played Vampyr in low chaos yet, but Dishonored 2 low chaos Corvo is just as interesting of a character as high chaos, I just find the high chaos to be written extremely well, that's why I have highlighted this aspect in the post because it goes against so many other RPG games that make the character some kind of tactless substitute of a cartoon villain when played in a dark way.

    submitted by /u/A_Very_Horny_Zed
    [link] [comments]

    Dishonored RPG/Reddit Question

    Posted: 06 Feb 2020 12:16 PM PST

    So with the new Dishonored RPG on its way, is a new subreddit going to be created for those discussions the same way The Expanse split and created The Expanse RPG subreddit?

    submitted by /u/CobraStrike525
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment